[orca-list] Installing OpenSuSe 11.1 without a PC speaker?

Hi Everyone
Well, I'm back to playing with Linux, having been pre-ocupied in the Macintosh access technologies for quite a long time now. I'd like to get OpenSuSe 11.1 installed in a virtual machine on my Macbook. The directions I've found for an accessible install say to press F9 once I here the beep and select the menu options using the talking PC speaker boot menu. Trouble is, none of the virtual machine environments for the Mac have a pc speaker, matter of fact they don't have PC speakers at all in their hardware. Can someone detail for me exactly what I have to do after pressing f9 to get the talking installer running? I haven't been able to get it to work, and I've tried f9 and then arrowing to each menu option in turn. The first option seems to boot, I get a small startup noise through my audio card, but it doesn't seem to be a complete environment, as I can't get anything to run--not orca, not even a gnome terminal window. Wow, Gentoo and Arch are more straightforward than this. Just kidding, well... sort of kidding :).

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams