[orca-list] OCR apps

Hi all.

I was just wondering if there might be a good scanning and ocr solution that works with orca that I don't know about. Scanning is just about the only reason I need to use Windows any more; I also use Macosx and none of the scanning solutions i've found there works for me. In Windows I use Abbyy Finereader. From the command line in linux, I have been using sane with scanimage and then tesseract. While this does work to some extent, I get a lot of garbage in scans plus have to keep turning the paper to try to get the top orientation right, something Abby of course does for me. I also downloaded and tried vuescan for linux but unfortunately I can't determine how well it would work because while I can access the preview and scan pages I can't seem to access the area to set input media type or any other options for that matter. If anybody has either had success with vuescan and can tell me how to pursue this further, or has found a better scanning/ocr solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm using a canoscan lide60.

Tia.

--
Cheryl