Re: [orca-list] making Orca update automatically

Sounds like a fun feature! Go for it -- submit a patch and we'll take a look.

Looking forward to seeing a new contributor come on board,

Will

Scott Berry wrote:
Hi there everyone,

I'd like to throw this out for discussion.  I am thinking that it's time
for Orca to have anautomatic update procedure  such as what you see in
Jaws.  It would do the following:

1.  When you go in to the Orca preferences there would be an update
button on the General Tab or create a new  update tab for this feature.

2.  When that button is invoked it would ask if you'd like to check for
updates.

3.  If there is an update found it would have a radio button rather than
a list view because then the newest Orca within a certain branch would
be selected.  Also with in this you would have a combo box with the
different branch numbers.  I am thinking for instance:  you'd have
2.24.2 and then if you go for 2.25 you'd have 2.25.4.  I am thinking of
making it smart enough to check the ftp site and determine the newest
version.

4.  It would say if your working under a new branch:  "Please be careful
as this may break your current accessibility setup."

5.  It would retrieve the download and set it up automatically.  This
particular version would befor a deb package but maybe there's a tool
which I could incorporate to turn it in to an rpm.

6.  Then it would say:  "Your version of Orca has been successfully
downloaded and installed.  Please wait a few minutes as I restart myself
and get organized."

I know i have a little humor but heck it's Linux why not have fun with
it.  I'd like to know also if there would be people willing to
contribute code to this and make it easy for those of us who are Linux
gurus and newbies as well.  I'd also like to make it so there is full
control of each version so say your an advanced user and you want a
certain version you would be able to get that and say hit an Install
button and she goes away and does her thing downloading and installing
the version called for.  I('d have a lot of fun with this I think.