[orca-list] PulseAudio and Alsa

Greetings,

I would like to use Alsa on my Ubuntu 8.10 installation, firstly because from reading the Orca wiki I see that speech-dispatcher is slightly more responsive with Alsa, and secondly I have a couple of third party apps which require Alsa for sound output.

What I wanted to ask was, can PulseAudio and Alsa co-exist on Ubuntu with minimal problems, or do I need to completely remove PulseAudio and recompile any applications and libraries that depend on it to use Alsa instead?

If anyone has already tackled this particular issue I would appreciate any feedback please, especially in relation to any problems I should watch out for along the way.

Cheers,

Mitch