Re: [orca-list] Orca and Administration in Ubuntu 8.04 steps.

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of aerospace1028 hotmail com
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 12:34 PM
To: lists digitaldarragh com; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca and Administration in Ubuntu 8.04 steps.

greetings all,

On Wednesday, when I tried this first, adding the file to /root alone did
not work.

The file needed to be in my users home directory.
I've absolutely no idea why.

I believe I might have the answer.

Sunday, I downloaded the audio file and gave it a listen.  When you were
going through your configuration profile Darragh, it sounded like the
"disable GKSU-Keyboard Grab" checkbox was in the checked position.  I ran
into a similar problem when I first tried getting system administration
working in gutsy.  If you return this box to its default value of disabled
you should just be able to "sudo " enter your password and orca will speak
fine without having to launch orca itself as root.

And as far as the chmod sudoers file goes, 777 is overkill even if you
return it to 440 after.  No one other than root ever needs to write to this
file, and no one ever needs to exicute it (it's a text file;
non-exicutable).  So in my humble, novice opinion:

chmod 640 sudoers
edit
chmod 440 sudoers

would be a more responsible approach.

That being said, I do apreciate the time and effort you volunteer in
producing these audio tutorials.  Even with the written instructions, it
does help sort of looking (or listening) over someones shoulder.  Your
original orca 7 tutorial helped me feel comfortable biting the bullet, and
testing ubuntu.

No one is perfect; you are volunteering this service, and as you say in the
mp3s, you are not an expert on all things Ubuntu.  I hope you take this
message at least as friendly critiquing and as you learn and gain new
experience, continue to provide this valuable service to the comunity.

:-)

Hi Darragh,
        I Would like you to know that I appreciate your Walk through mp3's
that you are producing.  I have loved to work with Linux for many years;
however I work in the windows world and do not find that I have the time to
dedicate to learning how to make it work as my production machine.  You have
given me a great description of an installation.  I just wanted to thank you
for your time you took to create your mp3's and hope that you will continue
producing more of them in the future.  This does not diminish the incredible
work that all of you developers are doing.  I teach AT computing and hope
that I can teach Linux in the near future.  This would not be possible
without all of you folks and your tenacious dedication to the projects.
Thank you.  I will return back to listening now.
Scott Ford

Checked by AVG.
7:44 AM