To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:43 AM
Subject: Orca Help recovering from orca crashes.

Hi, all.
Ok, well I have been running orca 0.25 with gnome-speech 0.4.0 and
festival and Dectalk 5. I've noticed orca crashes quite often
unexpectedly, and the only way to get speech back is to reboot from scratch.
Some notes about the problem. When orca crashes all sound, speech, and
system sounds are completely stopped. When logging out, and back in the
desktop sound effects are totally silent and won't work. Also opening
gnome-terminal and doing aplay path-tofile/some-sound.wav refuses to
play the wav file I attempt to point aplay to.
My theory is when orca crashes and even if orca itself is completely
killed there is still some background process that has ahold of the
sound card. So the next time I log in and start x nothing can access the
sound card. I've noticed even at a shell emacspeak and other apps won't
work either using the sound card.
First,  is there anyway to fix this without a total reboot? Second, do I
need to file a bugzilla report on this? I'm certain someone else has had
to have this problem as it happens both with festival and dectalk so I
can't blame the sinth for the lock. It's either orca or gnome-speech
which is my guess.