Orca problems with GAIM

Hello all, I've been doing some investigating into the problems that some of you are having reading new messages as they arrive. It seems to be some sort of a focus problem that I've only been able to reproduce a couple times. If a few of you could test the following I'd appreciate it. When in a chat that is not reading try to flat review into the panel near the top of the window where new messages appear. At this point, have someone send you a chat message or just type one yourself. I believe after doing this messages should be spoken as they arrive. Thanks for any feedback.
Mike