Element Mobile (Ex-Alltel Central WI) - SCT UM300 EVDO Modem

Greetings.

I spent a few hours on IRC working with a very helpful gentleman that goes by the handle 'dcbw'. I hope to include everything here concerning the issue, as I have not had much time to work on it in real-time.

Element Mobile has taken over services for Alltel in the Central and north-east of Wisconsin. Along with that, they have pushed out a new piece of hardware that Network Manager is having trouble with.

I am able to make the connection using kppp and other PPP-based dialers without issue. Here's the login info for an Element Mobile user:

Username: <phone number>@data.elementmobile.net

Password: abcelement123

Phone Number: #777

This is EVDO Rev.A service.

The device they've pushed people to is a new item from what I can tell, an SCT UM300 USB dongle. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64bit.

It appears the device provides 3 ttyUSB devices, 2 of which respond to AT commands. The port that actually performs the connection is /dev/ttyUSB2. Network Manager first identified ttyUSB1 and obviously had problems.

My first diagnostics: http://paste.ubuntu.com/568362/

This is when I got in touch with dcbw, and was informed that the 10-modem.fdi file was no longer in use.

He had me run the modem through some AT commands, and I captured some info off the syslog: http://paste.ubuntu.com/568473/

The debug from modem-manager was next: http://paste.ubuntu.com/568504/

And finally, some further AT command responses: http://paste.ubuntu.com/568511/

Somewhere in this exchange, I provided a copy of the files off the embedded CD on the device: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLWL5OMP

And dcbw provided me with a patch for network manager to at least get it detecting on the right port: http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/77-mm-simtech-port-types.rules

I wish I had a more set schedule to work on this directly, but I figured I can't take up all of dcbw's time, and it's best to have a bunch of eyes looking at it anyway. I'm a fairly technical user, and I'm able to provide tests and logs as needed to get this working; I'm willing to take the time to get it working right, as well.

So far, the modem is seen by network manager, the proper port is opened, but it's still unable to make a connection. I'm using kppp for now to dial in and have network manager disabled.

Any help is welcome, and I am subscribed to the digest on this list, so I'll keep an eye out for any messages.

Thanks in advance!

--Alex