Re: NM and usb eth gadget

Dan Williams wrote:

> Not really, precisely because names are subject to change by udev and
> whatnot.  Names are even less stable than MAC addresses, and this is
> really an abuse.  Is OpenMoko seriously too lame to get a pool of MAC
> addresses?  Do they at least start with 00:02 or something like that?

I'm not really an expert on usb gadgets and I'm not sure how they assign mac
in the first place. It seems, when you load g_ether module it's assigning
pretty random mac address.

You can of course specify it by passing arguments to the module. One can
argue,
you can define it based as you pointed USB vendor/device ID and serial or
anything else, but I think it's offtopic discussion here.

> Couldn't you use udev rules to always assign the same MAC address to the
> phone based on USB vendor/device ID and serial #?

Maybe it can be done using uved, but I couldn't find the way to do it yet.

Anyway, thanks for an answer Dan!

Rob