Re: dnsmasq

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:36:13 -0400
From: "Jim Popovitch"<yahoo jimpop com>

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 13:40, Dan Williams<dcbw redhat com>  wrote:
1) NM needs to write out an /etc/resolv.conf that points to 127.0.0.1
when people are using a local caching nameserver

Yes! (please)

2) What do we do when some other process (bind or a non-dbus-enabled
dnsmasq) is already bound to port 53?  What's the failure mode here?
Fall back to writing out a real resolv.conf?

How about a NM option to disable updating of resolv.conf.   This
should be settable in 3 different places:

            -globally
            -interface (wired/wireless)
            -per manually configured connections

Why so complicated? /etc/resolv.conf is a global resource, a single global switch is the only thing that makes sense.

For instance, I might want to normally use my local caching
nameserver, but if using wired (at HQ) I might want NM to update
resolv.conf so that I can resolve corp devices/systems.

VPN plugins need a "don't touch resolv.conf" option too!

Again, none of that makes sense. Whether or not you have a local caching nameserver has no relation to what your preferred domain search order is. If you want to resolve myhost.mycorp.com then that's what you want, period.

If you're online at the local neighborhood Starbucks there's no reason you want your unqualified hostname lookups to be checked against foo.starbucks.com first, you still want it to check foo.mycorp.com.

The resolution rules in resolv.conf shouldn't depend on what network you're plugged into.
--
  -- Howard Chu