Re: dnsmasq

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 13:40, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> 1) NM needs to write out an /etc/resolv.conf that points to 127.0.0.1
> when people are using a local caching nameserver

Yes! (please)

> 2) What do we do when some other process (bind or a non-dbus-enabled
> dnsmasq) is already bound to port 53?  What's the failure mode here?
> Fall back to writing out a real resolv.conf?

How about a NM option to disable updating of resolv.conf.   This
should be settable in 3 different places:

           -globally
           -interface (wired/wireless)
           -per manually configured connections

For instance, I might want to normally use my local caching
nameserver, but if using wired (at HQ) I might want NM to update
resolv.conf so that I can resolve corp devices/systems.

VPN plugins need a "don't touch resolv.conf" option too!

> 3) Need some method of telling NM to use a local caching nameserver,
> either via the command line or via the system settings service or
> something like that

Why?  Why can't NM just configure the interface(s) and leave DNS up to
the system owner if:
                  /apps/NetworkManagerApplet/update_DNS = 0
    or
                  /system/networking/wireless/networks/*/update_DNS = 0
    or
                  /system/networking/wired/networks/*/update_DNS = 0
    or
                  /system/networking/vpn_connections/*/update_DNS = 0

-Jim P.