Re: [ANNOUNCE] ModemManager (for GSM and CDMA)

Stuart,

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 12:43 +0100, Stuart Ward wrote:

> The whole point of Network Manager is that it is the integrated
> network access tool. Modems are largely standard. we don't need
> special software to access different modems. Perhaps we need a
> configuration strings for some modems but I see no point in having a
> separate tool for modems.

I'm looking forward to your design ideas (and perhaps code?) on how to
make Networking (and especially NM) a generic thing.

> Equally for GSM modems these are as least as standardised as WiFi
> cards. So we should not need a seperate tool to manage them.

I'm sure a lot of people with different GSM/CDMA/G3 cars/USB cables etc
would not agree... But., same question as above.

> What Network Manager should show is the GSM signal strength as soon as
> you plug in a modem, and allow a button to select and establish the
> connection. Just like the WiFi selection.
>
> Am I missing something here?

How about if you read the email thread(s) about it all? Then you'd know
that you might be missing a few clues...

> -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

/Magnus