Re: [ANNOUNCE] ModemManager (for GSM and CDMA)

It looks like I did terrible job explaining _why_ I wrote
ModemManager. Let me try again.

Where were we before ModemManager.
The current state in NetworkManager 0.7 is that we have the absolute
minimum support for modems to claim that we support modems. There are
a couple of advanced solution out there (mobile-manager, vmc, umtsmon)
that do much better job and have many more features. Multiple people
contacted us asking if we could integrate their solution, each with
different API.

How to solve that?
Given that the existing mobile applications were written in other
languages than C, it became clear we need an out of process design for
modems. So DBus was chosen. The next obstacle is that each existing
solution has it's own API. The solution I chose for this is to define
a common API that NetworkManager uses and any project that wants to be
integrated, can implement two simple interfaces. I felt it was a
better choice than using any of the existing APIs to not make anyone
feel left out.

Why did I write ModemManager?
I'm no a genius and can't define API without trying to use it.
Therefore, I needed something to test on. ModemManager is very little
apart from the newly defined DBus interface plus the modem handling
code from NetworkManager. So it's not like I've made huge investments
trying to reimplement a wheel (or existing projects).

Where are we now?
I wrote the code for NetworkManager to support out of processes modem
handling API. It's in 'ModemManager' branch in the NetworkManager's
SVN tree. We have a clear answer to any project that wants to
integrate with NetworkManager.

Do I keep working on ModemManager?
Yes. As long as existing solution can be used with NetworkManager, I
feel like I've solved the main goal. If my pet project doesn't
succeed, there's no great loss. If it does, it gives me (and possibly
others) more choice. If there are two backends, one written in python
and one in C and both do the job for me, I'd choose the C one. Other
people, depending on their specific hardware, beliefs or what not,
might choose the other.

Does it make sense?
Tambet