Re: Request for ergonomy feature

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 01:09:54PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fedora, gnome-power-manager is the thing that tells NM to sleep and
> wake up.  Maybe that's the case for Ubuntu as well, I don't know.  But
> please check and make sure your distro is correctly telling NM to go to
> sleep and waking up.  The behavior you describe is consistent with NM
> _not_ going to sleep, which is should be doing.

Hi,

On my fedora 7, it is a script of the pm-utils package doing this job of
disconnecting/reconnecting NM before/after suspend. I don't have
gnome-power-manager.

And it is enabled by default, but I decided to disable it.

Why ? Because most of the time, I wake up at the same place that I
suspended, and I enjoy having the instant connectivity on wake up rather
than wait for NM to reconnect, which is quite slow. And it is true that
when I change place, it is a little bit of an hassle to reconnect to the
new network, for the reason that have been described, but that's a rare
occurence compared to the convenience I have when I wake up in the same
place.

(The problem is exacerbated by the fact that, for some reason, NM has
some difficulty connecting to a known network. It won't do it alone, I
have to click on the icon, and it usually works only the second or third
time. F7 fully updated with iwl3945. One day, I need to send some logs to
this list to make a proper bug report.)

So, is it possible to have the best of both worlds ? A NM who keeps a
connexion fully configured if one wakes up at the same place, and changes
promptly the network when one wakes up at another place ? For instance,
would it make sense to have the ".sleep" method be a NOP, and that on a
".wake" method, NM rescans immediately the networks and tries to decide
if the computer moved or not ?

Éric