Re: Request for ergonomy feature

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 15:14 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:14 -0300, Joel Goguen wrote:

> > > On Fedora, gnome-power-manager is the thing that tells NM to sleep and
> > > wake up.  Maybe that's the case for Ubuntu as well, I don't know.  But
> > > please check and make sure your distro is correctly telling NM to go to
> > > sleep and waking up.  The behavior you describe is consistent with NM
> > > _not_ going to sleep, which is should be doing.
> > >
> > > Dan

> > Primarily for my own curiosity and so I can put some details in a bug
> > report if needed, what would be the proper way to tell NM to go to sleep
> > and wake up?  Is there a way to broadcast a message over dbus and
> > anything listening that receives the message goes to sleep or wakes up
> > as appropriate?  Or would a message need to be sent specifically to NM
> > for each?
>
> Historically, there has not been a system service that sends out dbus
> signals on sleep/wake.  That should probably be HAL if anything.  But
> since power policy is managed int he _session_, and not system wide,
> it's unclear exactly how that would work.  In any case, you must call
> the 'sleep' and 'wake' methods like so:
>
> dbus-send --system
> --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep
>
> and 'wake'.
>
> Dan

I think the problem may actually be in the system configuration, and
both gnome-power-manager and NM are doing exactly what they're told to
do.  After some poking around in the gnome-power-manager source, I found
that it does send the sleep/wake commands to NM if the key
'/apps/gnome-power-manager/general/network_sleep' is set to true.  If
this is false, the sleep/wake signals won't be sent.  When I opened up
the GConf config tool, this value was false for me.  I'm not able to
test it yet, but in about 2 hours I'll be able to check and post back if
this works.  In the meantime, if someone else is able to verify that the
value is false and NM properly rescans after waking up with the value
set to true that would be great :)

--
Joel Goguen
http://jgoguen.net/