Re: Scannning

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 14:48 +0200, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> Here's how scanning is scheduled:
>
> When the nm-applet's devices menu is expanded, NetworkManager
> schedules a scan to start in 20 seconds. If the menu is deactivated
> and activated again within that 20 seconds, NM re-schedules the scan
> after another 20 seconds. So if you keep clicking on applet with
> intervals less than 20 seconds, the NM initiated scan never happens.
> When the scan is actually initiated, it takes a bit time to get the
> results back and it depends on wireless driver how fast/slow it is. If
> the menu is still expanded, the scan results are not added to the
> menu, you have to deactivate the menu and activate it again to see the
> results (and a new scan is scheduled again).

Right, there are bugs in the scan algorithm like this one that should
get fixed, but before that we needed to determine exactly _how_ it
should best get fixed, which I think we now know.  We'd have problems if
people wanted very short scan intervals while connected, which doesn't
appear to be the case.

For 0.6.x at least, I think we can get a good enough patch.

Dan