Re: NM dialup API

Hello Will,

On 4/19/07, Will Stephenson <wstephenson kde org> wrote:
On Thursday 19 April 2007 10:07:31 Tambet Ingo wrote:
> There's no dialup API in the trunk because there will be none. Just as
> there's common API for wired and wireless devices, a dialup device
> will be just another device with exactly the same API and semantics as

Hey, Tambet :)

I made this realisation too after sending the first spec (sending something
always refreshes the parts actually thinking about it doesn't reach ;)).

Sweet, I'm glad we agree on it.

> For configuration (of all device types, including dialup) see
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfiguration

Excellent.  I hadn't found this page.  The KDE api I wrote to abstract NM and
other potential backends is spookily similar - especially having the
Connection bound to a type but not an instance of a device.  This will make
implementing a NM 0.7 backend for Solid easy.

Sounds like we have a good plan when two groups of people working
independently come to a very similar conclusions (I can't take any
pride on that though, I didn't even take part of the design) :)

> The exact list of setting types is not spec'ed out yet.

Is anyone working on turning this into a dbus spec yet?  I can help with this
if needed.

I have most of the infrastructure done for getting the configuration
to NetworkManager. I'll attach the dbus introspection files to the
mail. What still needs to be done is to define all the setting objects
and all the possible fields in each setting and um... start using it.

Tambet
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<node name="/">
  <interface name="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Settings.Connection">
    <method name="GetSettings">
      <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.CSymbol" value="impl_connection_get_settings"/>
      <arg name="settings" type="a{sa{sv}}" direction="out"/>
    </method>

    <method name="GetSecret">
      <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.CSymbol" value="impl_connection_get_secret"/>
      <arg name="name" type="s" direction="in"/>
	  <arg name="secret" type="ay" direction="out"/>
    </method>

    <property name="Id" type="s" access="read"/>

    <signal name="Updated">
      <arg name="settings" type="a{sa{sv}}"/>
    </signal>

    <signal name="Removed"/>
  </interface>
</node>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<node name="/">
  <interface name="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Settings">
    <method name="ListConnections">
      <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.CSymbol" value="impl_settings_list_connections"/>
      <arg name="connections" type="ao" direction="out"/>
    </method>

	<signal name="ConnectionAdded">
      <arg name="connection" type="o"/>
    </signal>