Re: Finding existing PPP connection?

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 11:48 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:
> On 12/17/06, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 10:23 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > > Huh, I've got multiple modems configured just fine (in FC5).
> > > And as for the username/password, I just use web/web.
> > > You could also supply it and then add 'noauth' to the PPP options.
> >
> > Right; Sprint doesn't require username/password for it's data
> > connections, either with PAM/tethered or with CDMA cards.  Does Verzion
> > or other CDMA providers?  I gather that GSM-based providers usually _do_
> > require username and password.
> >
> > Dan
>
> I have used Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint and here is what each
> required from my notes:
> Verzion: Username: 10 digit phone number, password: vzw
> Sprint: Username/Password: Assigned by sprint, if you look in the
> communications manager on a windows system you will see it.

Interesting; I don't have to enter a username or password when doing PPP
over Bluetooth to 1xRTT with Sprint.  In any case, it's quite clear
there need to be these fields anyway.

> Cingular: Username: ispda cingulargprs com password: CINGULAR1
>
> I had all of these cards for certification testing at work so I used
> them extensively.   The settings I listed above are what worked for me
> but it is possible that the username/password settings are not
> required however without them they would not connect.
>
> I set them all up using pppconfig and just doing pon device when I
> wanted to dial.
>
> I have a Verizon and a Cingular card so if further testing is needed I
> can provide it.

Yeah, when the time comes (soon hopefully) we'll need pretty extensive
testing of the PPP functionality across as many providers as we can get.
I'll likely be doing the development using a US CDMA provider like
Sprint or Verizon with both Bluetooth DUN and an EVDO card.

Thanks,