Re: Hildon on MeeGo

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 16:01 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> Hi Cornelius,
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Cornelius Hald <hald icandy de>
> wrote:
>

>         It looks like that date was postponed, but on June 6th, Stormy
>         wrote
>         that in the coming week she will "Get out board approved
>         proposal for
>         using the Nokia money for GNOME Mobile"[1]. That week is over,
>         so does
>         anyone know this proposal? Is there a place where I can read
>         logs/minutes of that meeting?
>
> The minutes from the board meeting are published on the wiki and the
> Foundation List.
>

> We agreed to some combination of hackfests, documentation and getting
> a few good sample applications ported but we decided to wait until we
> had a chance to have some conversations at LinuxTag.
>

> We have a proposal now that is a plan to get to a plan. The idea is to
> make our developer tools and environment better so that developers
> want to write GNOME apps for Maemo/MeeGo. Roughly it includes:
> * A survey about the current state of our tools.
> * Discussions at GUADEC.
> * Improvements to our current development environment.
> * Partnering with developer tools groups.
> * Improving developer documentation, ncluding websites, videos and
> tutorials.
> * Holding hackfests where appropriate to improve these things.
> * Make sure there are a few key apps to show off.

But Nokia's aim with this is apparently to help the community to support
Hildon on Mameo Harmattan and Meego. This doesn't do that.

When you first asked, I replied:
"
So I think, at the very least, some effort should be made to get GTK+
and Hildon working reasonably well on Maemo Harmattan, when there is
some public SDK to base that on. Otherwise you can encourage all the
little apps you like but they won't run on the next version of Maemo
anyway.
"

That's a clearly defined and achievable development task that money
could be spent on. Your list seems vague with very little chance of
producing results.

> What this is really missing is someone in this space, with a vested
> interest in this space, with knowledge of the space to help drive and
> lead this effort.
>

> It worries me a lot that nobody has stepped forward to help. While I
> can help push things forward, I do not think I am the right person to
> lead it.

Openismus can maybe help with porting Hildon though we are very busy. If
it's paying work then we would only want to promise something that's
fairly well-defined.

Note that I don't think libhildon should be anything more than a way to
support legacy applications. The good stuff should just be moved into
GTK+, though it needs people with time, and Nokia didn't have time
during Maemo 5. But supporting legacy (Maemo 5) applications is very
worthwhile.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com