Re: gnome-desktop on omap3

Hi Amit,

Amit Pundir wrote:
> What is the differerence between Gnome-desktop and Gnome-mobile?

The GNOME desktop is a full suite of libraries and applications for a
desktop environment. GNOME Mobile is a set of common components of the
GNOME Platform and applications like Matchbox which are
small-form-factor specific, with a shared goal: making these standard
libraries work well in mobile and embedded environments. GNOME Mobile is
less about the technologies involved and more about the participants and
this shared goal.

> If I'm not wrong Gnome-mobile can be interpreted as a subset of
> Gnome-desktop with less or say customized packages and utilities.

Apart from one exception (the D-Bus port of EDS) I can't think of any
package which has been customised as part of GNOME Mobile. This is an
important point - the goal is not to take GNOME and turn it into
something else, the goal is to take the standard GNOME platform, and
enable great mobile user experiences with it.

> Also I'm looking for Gnome-mobile solution only and I thought building
> and configuring Gnome sources as listed on the site
> http://www.gnome.org/mobile/ , I can port gnome on omap3. Since X was
> not mentioned there so I thought it may not require X.

Indeed, several participants have said that they might be interested in
using the libraries without X11. But all of the shipping GNOME Mobile
devices that I'm aware of use X.org.

Cheers,
Dave.

--