Re: Do you guys know about GTimeLog?

Toms wrote:
I'm currently doing an activity "Brainstorming about Hamster" but
following your advise I've added a Category "Hamster" and changed this
to just Brainstorming.

my advice was to use descriptions, not categories in this case.
categories are to categorize, and i'm not sure how many different
brainstormings you will be doing.

Thanks for elaborating, I'll let this sink in for a moment and see how I can adapt to the paradigm.

I'm going to patch Hamster to be able to allow the
user to configure what should be displayed and what not.

if you do, please also upload the patches to bugzilla, so they can be
reused and committed upstream
also, if you could, please try to keep the general public in mind.

I'll certainly try to do that [keeping the general public in mind] and I understand this is a requirement if I wanted my changes to be merged.

I'm documenting my thoughts and activities at:
http://live.gnome.org/ProjectHamster/Ideas

if i may, i would suggest to phrase your observations constructively
and not go ahead with the red revolution thing. also, please try to
avoid words like "annoying".

Please don't understand me wrong, I'm not looking for a fight. However, judging by this and your (seemingly hostile) response to "Question regarding installing GConf keys" it seems a little bit like I hurt your feelings somewhere in the process. If so I'm sorry as that was never my intention, but on the other hand I don't see what I've done that should offend you in any way.

Now, we could debate whether or not I should have kept everything so far private until I had used Hamster for a few weeks and become more acquainted with the workflow. And it would most certainly be an interesting discussion, but I would however hope that if somebody else documented their initial experiences with an application I had developed I would value their contributions instead of treating them like they're attempting a hostile takeover.

I guess this is yet another learning experience that in most projects you need to watch your steps as an outsider and gradually build up a reputation if you want to become part of an existing team.

Finally, instead of trying to drill a hole with a saw, if you can
follow the analogy, how about just letting go with the flow and seeing
if maybe the other way, that you are not used to yet, has earned it's
place under sun for a good reason.

I'll take this into account. It was never my intention to just go about and implement everything I stated in Ideas, I just wrote everything that came up down and will evaluate it as I go.

I would hope you yourself would also be willing to consider that other people may prefer things differently from you. Obviously as the project maintainer it's entirely up to you to decide the direction Hamster should move to and what changes from outsiders should be incorporated.

Best regards,

Bruce