Re: [guadec-list] Booklet

----- "Dave Neary" <bolsh gnome org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Wood wrote:
> > Thanks for making a start on this. It's likely the booklet will be
> > available as an on-line version this year, which Bastien will be
> > organising. I've added him to the CC in case you have any specific
> > questions.
>
> It's the organising committee's decision, of course, and I'm happy to
> respect whatever you decide, but I'm not convinced that not having a
> printed programme is a good idea.
>
>  - lots of people come to GUADEC without a computer, how will they
> find
> out what's on while they're there?

As last year, having a large printed board with the daily schedule, plus smaller ones posted on notice boards about the place. Also as last year we planning on having a mini map and programme for the lanyard.

>  - I like leafing through the booklet, browsing the presentation
> descriptions & bios, and using marker to circle & underline the stuff
> I'm interested in. From what I've seen in the past, I'm not alone in
> that.

I don't want to go creating extra work for people but I think we should be able to produce a pdf containing that info and those who like circling paper can print it themselves (and we'd probably want to keep it simple rather than burn everyone's ink on hires photos of Jono's beard).

>  - Most of the work of doing the booklet is getting all the
> information
> together, which you'll need for the website anyway, the extra work in
> lay-out and printing isn't a huge amount (but is a nice chunk of your
> budget).

I agree, and having all this on the usb key adds extra work. As I said to Bastien, the easy route is just to do as previous years and print a programme, whereas going the USB route is only going to work if we can find volunteers to make it work (since neither of us have the time). However it does give us (and the presenters, and sponsors) scope do to other stuff - include slide decks, screencasts, videos, source code, examples - the sky is the limit (but it's all guff unless someone can pull it all together).

>  - Finally, it's about the only memento people keep of the conference

What about the t-shirts, bags, photos, videos, scars and tattoos?

In the end the lead time for USB key v. Brochure production (I mean just the physical production) is about the same ~ 2 weeks, so as long as we have the content  ready we can chicken out nearer the time.

Paul