Re: Development Environments for gtkmm

Andreas Volz wrote:
Am Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:32:26 -0500 schrieb José Alburquerque:
You know, by using a "set substitute-path <library-source-path> <installed-source-path>" in the $HOME/.gdbinit file it is possible to install the library source somewhere and have gdb replace the path
where the library's debug info says the source should be with where
you've installed the library's source.

On my system, for example, by using the 'strings' command, I'm able
to see that glibmm's debug info says that the source should be found
in "/build/buildd/glibmm2.4-2.14.2/".  I actually installed glibmm's
source in "/usr/src/glibmm2.4-2.14.2". So by including the line "set substitute-path /build/buildd /usr/src" in ~/.gdbinit gdb has no
problem finding glibmm's source.

This works with all debuggers (even nemiver) as long as ~/.gdbinit is processed by gdb when it starts up. :-)

Thanks for that info, I didn't know that.

It's helped me debugging several programs. Admittedly, I use several debuggers (including kdbg at times), but this option is very useful debugging libraries.

-Jose