RE: gtkmm binaries for win32

Hi Murray and the gtkmm community,

Turns out I'm still alive but I have been extremely busy in the last few months, both on the professional and private side of life. As a result, I haven't written a single line of code (java, C++, Python, PHP, ..., just name it) since about a year ago.

Anyway, I understand the concerns of the community about the need for updated gtkmm binaries for the win32 platform. But as my time is limited, I would be happy if one or two co-maintainers could please stand up and help me for these updated binaries, before taking over the maintenance say around the gtkmm 2.14 release time.

So, what is the status of gtkmm on win32 right now :

1. for the mingw32 target, everything (latest libsigc++, libxml++, glibmm, gtkmm, libglademm) builds fine
with the exception of libglademm : some missing symbols in the libglade DLL. I will submit a patch on bugzilla in the next few days.

For early birds, I have uploaded binaries (mingw32 only, no MSVC) to a temporary location :

http://www.gustin.be/win32/gtkmm-win32-2.12.7.zip

2. for the MSVC platform, I target the Visual C++ Express 2008 toolchain. Because of small changes in the way Microsoft has included the Windows SDK in Visual C++ Express 2008, resource files (.rc) will have to be patched. The other part of the work will deal with updating the project files when required (for example for the new giomm binding). Nothing complicated but it make take a little time.

3. My installer is based on a NSIS script which should still be OK for gtkmm 2.12

So what I propose is the following :

1. Document how I build gtkmm for the mingw32 target : using a standard cygwin distribution (with the -mno-cygwin gcc compiler option) and the autotools (configure;make;make install) and make sure other people can reproduce the build.
2. Patch the code on svn for Visual C++ Express 2008 (under a new MSVC_2008 subdirectory) and update the project files accordingly. Document the build process and have other people reproduce it and ideally adapt it for MSVC 2005.
3. Upload an initial gtkmm 2.12 installer on ftp.gnome.org and upload the NSIS script on svn. Have other people generating the installer.
4. Decide with Murray what to do next and with whom.

Target is end of this month for reaching #4.

Fine for you ?

Cédric