Signalling UI from a thread

Title: Signalling UI from a thread

Hello everybody

In my app, I have pthreads running and I have a background thread which
runs periodically. When this thread is running, the UI should be aware
of it and should show a status msg (in a window) that the thread is running some task and
hide it once the task is complete.

How do I achieve this? Any thoughts?

I know I have to signal UI from my thread and display a form(window)
with the message or at least call a method in one of the existing forms
from the thread which in turn shows the message form, but I can't think of
how to go about doing this in terms of code. Any examples in this
direction will be very helpful.

Your help is highly appreciated...
Thanks
Sirisha