Re: Release: Camelbox 2008.120.0145Z

spicy jack wrote:
 I don't really understand much about how camelbox works, I've looked in
 the repository but I don't really see much of anything in the way of
 code/etc, so I'm not sure at this point how exactly it works. Until I
 work that out, there's not much more I can add.

Take a look at it from the other direction, i.e. if you're going to
use a Windows installer of some kind to do all of the work,  which
installers for Windows provide what functionality?  That's sort of the
way I approached packages for Camelbox. If I wanted to install
everything via the NSIS (Nullsoft) installer, I'm limited to whatever
archive formats are supported in the installer.
I take a similar approach, but from a different direction.

Currently I'm using InnoSetup, on the basis that it supports LZ natively and the preferred solution is too difficult at present.

The feedback I get from users is that by far the best solution is to move to .msi installers, at least optionally.

The killer feature here is that a network admin can drop the .msi installer onto an Active Directory domain and install the package onto 1,000 computers in an organization simultaneously.

Obviously this is not the same approach you want for clueful users, who should be capable of installing their own Perl plus add-ons themselves. But nonetheless, both NullSoft and InnoSetup don't have any solution for this situation on the horizon that I'm aware of.

So for us, the expectation is that we'll be moving to WiX at some point, but it's a shitload of work to do it, so for now we're happy to live with InnoSetup.

Adam K