Re: Release: Camelbox 2008.120.0145Z

Strawberry has some existing functionality for installing binary packages, via both PPM and PAR packages.

ppi also has support for hosting scripted installs at URIs via the p5i file format.

But part of the mandate for Vanilla/Strawberry is to avoid inventing anything new and just take advantage of existing methodologies.

The ideal case is that we could get GTK packaged as PAR packages of something similar.

We're also temporarily (until we find a better way) using a "Vanilla PAR" style package, which has additional support for installing into the c directories, but that is only available at distro build time, not post-install.

Given that camelbox has done the work to build the binary package, one option might be to add support for camelbox packages to Perl::Dist...

I don't really understand much about how camelbox works, I've looked in the repository but I don't really see much of anything in the way of code/etc, so I'm not sure at this point how exactly it works. Until I work that out, there's not much more I can add.

Adam K