confused about keyboard focus

I'm confused about keyboard focus.  I'm writing code that I *think*
should make one specific widget receive keyboard input, yet when I
type at the screen, the keyboard input goes somewhere else.

I've got a big gtk2 app, but I've boiled the issue down to a simple
demo program:

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        use Glib qw/TRUE FALSE/;
        use Gtk2 '-init';

        my $window = Gtk2::Window->new;
        $window->signal_connect (destroy => sub { Gtk2->main_quit });
        my $vbox = new Gtk2::VBox( FALSE, 0 );
        my $entry1 = Gtk2::Entry->new();
        my $entry2 = Gtk2::Entry->new();
        $entry2->has_focus(TRUE); # <---- IMPORTANT LINE
        $vbox->pack_start( $entry1, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE );
        $vbox->pack_start( $entry2, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE );
        $window->add ($vbox);
        $window->show_all;
        Gtk2->main;

I would expect that when the gtk2 application was focused, any
characters I'd type would end up in  'entry2' gtk2::entry.

...but they don't.  They end up in 'entry1'.

1) Why?

2) How do I accomplish my goal of making one widget receive keyboard
input with out (a) making it first on the screen ; (b) requiring the
user to click or tab around?

Thanks in advance!

TJIC