Long running DBI queries == no GUI interaction

Hi All

I want to have my perl-gtk app query a database using DBI and
display the query results.  Some of the queries can take minutes
to run and a naive implementation would mean all GUI interaction
was blocked until the $dbh->execute returned.

Is this a solved problem?  I can envisage a fairly simple
workaround that involves forking a child to run the query and
passing the results back over a pipe or socket using IO events,
but obviously would prefer not to write the code if there's an
existing solution.

Cheers
Grant