What to do with my realize callback

I'm creating my own widget relying heavily on the "subclassing widgets" doc at gtk2-perl. My widget is subclassed from Gtk2::Container and contains a Gtk2::DrawingArea. What am I supposed to be doing inside my realize handler with the drawing area? I have tried calling realize on the DrawingArea, but I get this error back

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at ./mywidget.pl line 104. Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkstyle.c: line 845 (gtk_style_attach): assertion `window != NULL' failed at ./mywidget.pl line 104.

I don't understand the G_IS_OBJECT(object) message, I thought the drawingarea was an object?

Apparently, the drawingarea does not have a window. How do I get it one?

Thanks,

--
Brian McAndrews
bmcandrews efs-us com