Re: Gtk-Perl-0.7008 building issue, bugzilla #94531, proposed solution

Sergey Bratus said:
  I apologize if this is years late or misdirected. I've been trying
to compile the subj on various RH 9 and RH 8 systems with perl 5.8.0 and was
running into linking errors when building Gtk.so and other modules. I found
this problem described in Bugzilla bug #94531.

  I resolved it by finding what change in the newer MakeMaker
module that comes with 5.6.1 and 5.8.0 broke makefile generation
and patching */Makefile.PL files. My writeup and fixup script
follow.

thanks for the in-depth info!

0.7008's compile problem on perl 5.8.0 became a FAQ in the early part of the
year; my proposed solution was a bit more brute-force than yours:
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2003-March/msg00074.html

it appears that nobody with commit access on that tree is still subscribed to
the list, so we sent an off-list message to every address we could find in the
ChangeLog.  about a month or so later, Marc Lehmann found that message and
created a beta maintainance release of gtk-perl (0.7009):
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2003-June/msg00086.html

it's on CPAN, too:
http://search.cpan.org/author/MLEHMANN/Gtk-Perl-0.7009/

the changelog mentions what has changed:
http://search.cpan.org/src/MLEHMANN/Gtk-Perl-0.7009/ChangeLog

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>