GTKLabel

Hi,

I'm writing an applet that uses GTKLabel.  It works fine, except ...
using the set_text, if the label contains the same text as the update, it zeros
out the text.
I ended up clearing the label text, then writing the new data.

        $label1 = new Gtk::Label(" ");
        $label1->set_style( $style1 );
        $label1->show();
        $fixed->put( $label1, 5, 5 );

        :

        %reading = &get_reading($chip, $id);
        $label1->set_text( "" );
        $label2->set_text( "" );
        $label3->set_text( "" );

        $label1->set_text( $reading{id} );
        $label2->set_text( $reading{value} );
        $label3->set_text( $reading{unit} );

        I originally used a vbox, but then chose a fixed widget so I can place
a pixmap on the bkgnd.
        Is there a way to place a xpm pixmap as a background image?  (like the
tiles on the panel)
        I was reading about the style widget - can I assign a pixmap background
using style, and vbox?

        Thanks for any help.

--

Best Regards,