Gtktext question

Is there any way for one part of an application to
know what each keystroke going into a gtktext window
is, and be able to run a subroutine is a certain
keystroke or sequence of keystrokes is entered?  In
other words is there any way to watch gtktext, and if
someone presses Shift-Enter run some algorithum on the
text?  Sorry if this is an obvious question but I
can't seem to find any way that gtktext returns any
information about what specific characters are being
entered, or any way of setting up custom keybindings
for gtktext.  Is there any way?  Or some other widget
which will allow the same thing?  Or maybe a perl
trick?

I'll explain the context - I'm trying to put a shell
around a command line math application, but even for a
command line the interface is bad, so I'm trying to
give the end user the flexability of the text widget
and yet still evaluate lines when a specific keystroke
is pressed.  zvt doesn't look like it will work
because then I'm stuck with the same problems as on
the terminal command line.

Any ideas, short of a custom widget or hacking gtktext.c?