Re: Confused Newbie

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:02:33AM +0000, Purbeck Consultancy wrote:

> ldd /opt/openoffice.org2.1/program/soffice.bin | grep -v '=>
> /\(opt/gnome\|lib\|usr/lib\|usr/X11R6/lib\)'
> Is this showing errors? I don't know. What output should I expect from
> this command?

If run on something else than a monster like OpenOffice
(moreover evidently not installed from SuSE package so
possibly coming with its own set of problems), it should
print only the ld-linux line. Please try these things on
something simple and predictable, e.g. gtk-demo. But the
other libs are `expected' too in this case.

> I still get the pixbuf errors. However, I cannot see any associated
> problems when using the various applications - they all appear to be
> running correctly.

So all the icons/images are displayed normally?

Then you have to make it crash and print the backtrace, as
suggested.

> Sorry if I'm appearing obtuse or missing something obvious here, but I'm
> definitely not a programmer and don't really understand how GTK fits
> into the Gnome/Application structure.

Gtk+ is a library -- one that essentially all Gnome programs
use because it provides the user interface widget toolkit.

> For example, do I still need any
> GTK1 files if I have GTK2 installed?

No.

> Would having both installed cause