Re: Confused Newbie

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 07:02:46PM +0000, Purbeck Consultancy wrote:
> Folks, I notice with my applications that I am getting endless instances
> of the following errors:
> GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL'
> failed
> GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL'
> failed
>
> These are with all apps, including nautilus and Pan.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what is causing them, but I'd really like to
> fix it!
>
> Suse 10.0 - patched current. Gnome 2.12
> gtk2-2.8.3-4.3

This is not the current version, a fully patched SuSE 10.0
should have gtk2-2.8.3-4.7.  I don't know whether it's
relevant.

> Not sure what other info to post - please advise, and if anyone knows
> what this error is I'd be very interested!

For some reason Gtk+ seem to have lost the ability to load
icons.

I suppose you did not fiddle with your installation
recently.  Anyway, try

  rpm --verify gtk2

to check the Gtk+ installation against the rpm database
and

  ldd SOME-GTK-APP | grep -v '=> /\(opt/gnome\|lib\|usr/lib\|usr/X11R6/lib\)'

to see whether any libs are loaded from unexpected places.

You can also try (as root)

  touch /var/adm/SuSEconfig/run-gtk
  /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.gtk

to re-generate all Gtk+-related cached (including of pixbuf
loaders).

Yeti

P.S.: Next time please give your post a meaningful subject.

--
Whatever.