FW: Pango Size Attribute

Pango layout with an attribute list applied to it.  The size attribute does not seem to take effect unless the pango layout and attribute are created and attached in a callback function triggered by a redraw.  If not placed in the redraw callback the size of the text is always the same no matter what value I set for size.
The effects of the other attributes such as weight are seen even if they are not placed in a redraw callback.
I am using gtk 2.6.  Is this a bug, is this the way it is suppose to work or is there a specific way to change the size of text in a pango layout.
I am not using the markup parse method.  I am simply attaching an attribute list to the layout.  I would rather do it this way

GET FREE 5GB ONLINE STORAGE - Safely store your documents, photos and music online!
Visit http://www.inbox.com/storage to find out more!