GnomeCanvas on X client side: how to

Hi All,

I am a real newby on GTK. And also new to GUIs and X.

Nevertheless I try to do my best..

I do have an application which needs to draw about 30000
clickable points on screen.

I need stuff like:
'on-mouse-over' show values
'on-buttom-down' select/unselect/assign to

I have implemented an application which works nicely with
2000 points using the GnomeCanvas Widget (on my old 512Mb notebook).

The X server needs much more memory.

I can step back to a drawable and handle events and image superposition
in an old style.

But because the GnomeCanvas is a nice usefull tool: Can I move and/or
control hoe much work is given to the X server?

Or.. can I make the GnomeCanvas a simple drawable for the X server?
And handle the graphycal representstion on my X client? (Ordering,and
events)

cheers
Fabio