Re: [gtk-list] make install fails on Mac OS X

For the longest time I rolled my own OS X devel environment. I ran across a script at Imendio and have not looked back since. This little ditty grabs everything you need for a "base" OS X gtk devel environment ( libjpeg, libtiff, gtk, cairo, glib, etc ) You can then install extra modules, such as glade2, libxml2, etc.

The original script is designed for MAC OS X, withough X11 support. With some very simple modifications to the configure lines in the script, you can remove the --no-x calls so that gtk will compile against X11.

You can get the script from this page:
http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx/build-instructions

once you've built the devel environment, you compile your software and then can do what Gimp.app ( and my own program ) have done, and distribute the full gtk env with your software. With compression and DMG, I was able to take my 55Meg app directory, and distro it as a 17M click-n-go application.

On 9/26/06, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp <mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp > wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:00:57 +0100 (BST)
James Gilbert < jgrg sanger ac uk> wrote:
>I gues that it is confusing libTIFF.dylib:
>
>/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
>
>with my libtiff:
>
>/Users/jgrg/dist/otterlace.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libtiff.dylib
>
>on the Mac's case-insensitve HFS+ filesystem.
>
>Can anyone suggest a work-around?

In my case, I added suffix to libtiff as libpng packagers do:

export libname_suffix=38
for f in `find . -name '*.am' | fgrep -v /man/ | fgrep -v /html/ `
do
  cp $f $f.orig
  sed \
        -e 's,libtiff\.,libtiff'${libname_suffix}'.,g' \
        -e 's,libtiff_,libtiff'${libname_suffix}'_,g' \
        -e 's,ltiff,ltiff'${libname_suffix}',g' \
        < $f.orig > $f
done
./autogen.sh
./configure ...
make
make install

For the softwares which lookup TIFF library by -ltiff,
I created symlinks after installation, as:
        libtiff.la -> libtiff38.la
        libtiff.a  -> libtiff38.a

Regards,
mpsuzuki

P.S.
However, I'm afraid that following to Fink developers' method
might be most safe, if you're going to co-use their packages.
I've not checked how they do.