Re: xlibs [environment variables]

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 02:21, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     Sergei,
>
> I'm not quite sure about what you meant in your last message but I've
> erased my /usr/local directory. X is what's giving me trouble now. Maybe if
> I put it in it's proper place which I'm not quite sure where that is now
> but it was /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11. I think. At least in my somewhat aged
> distro. I can't override pkg-config. It is this limited knowledge of mine
> that keeps me from using your tool which is obviously more advanced than
> pkg-config.
>
>     Maybe if I install the Xlibraries and then pkg-config, gettext and so
> on. I know I have chosen the hard way but it is much more difficult than I
> thought.

I haven't followed the problem but if you want pkg-config to find libraries
installed in the /usr/local prefix add /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig in the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environmental variable.

It is very bad practice to move libraries around by hand after you have
installed them because the libraries may not load correctly (even if you move
them to somewhere specified in /etc/ld.so.conf).

Chris