Re: xlibs [environment variables]

--- Bill Cunningham <billcu1 verizon net> wrote:

>     Sergei,
>
> I'm not quite sure about what you meant in your last message but I've erased
> my /usr/local directory. X is what's giving me trouble now. Maybe if I put
> it in it's proper place which I'm not quite sure where that is now but it
> was /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11. I think. At least in my somewhat aged distro. I
> can't override pkg-config. It is this limited knowledge of mine that keeps
> me from using your tool which is obviously more advanced than pkg-config.
>
>     Maybe if I install the Xlibraries and then pkg-config, gettext and so
> on. I know I have chosen the hard way but it is much more difficult than I
> thought.
>
> Bill

Bill,

I really don't understand your ways.

You've gone to the hearts of your distro and moved/deleted system
things.

Because of the above you've broken default automated mechanisms.

You complain about your "limited knowledge", and rightly so, but
by doing things your way you are making your life even more
difficult - you neither have the default automated mecahinsm bor
the knowledge to bypass it.

Regarding overwriting pkg-config - you possibly can. Either hide the
*.pc files by, say, changing the '.pc' exetension to something else
or hack them - they are text files, so the paths in them will point
to correct locations.

Or, you know, just install a modern distribution, don't change
anything at system level and, if not satisfied with versions
of libraries, use my tool to build newer ones.

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/