State of GTK+ on Windows (Was: gtk 2 or 3)

Around about 28/10/10 09:35, Tor Lillqvist typed ...
GTK+ 2 is to some extent usable on Windows, sure. Unfortunately, for
some aspects, earlier versions (up to 2.16 or so) are better than the
later ones up to the current stable version (2.22).

  So what are the curent issues with the Win32 GTK+ port?

We have a cross-platform C++ class framework that we've developed at work, but it still relies on Windows MFC for the main GUI aspects. I've always anticipated that should we be able to move to a cross platform GUI as well as cross-platform core code (most of our systems are head-less Linux boxes), we'd want to plump for GTK+.

While I am a fan of C++, I have issues with the Qt way of doing things: essentially, it's great if you want to start from scratch in C++, and do everything the Qt-way, with Qt classes from the get-go, but I had immense grief getting a simple proof-of-concept Qt GUI working [on Windows] on top of our classes, esp. with lockups due to threading issues, as I was using our threading and messaging classes (which we want to keep) and not the Qt ones.

I had much better luck with binding to GTK+, which is better for us as it's cleaner to wrap your own C++ classes around basic C API (IMHO) than around other C++ classes; it lets you map your ode to the API more easily.

Ironically, I actually had no problems updating the GUI from the 'wrong' thread by using recursive mutexes for the GTK locks, and threading is the one thing GTK is not supposed to be great at under Windows; Qt just locked up for no apparent reason, an *it* is supposed to be OK.

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature