Re: filechooserbutton and saving

hi,

In my opinion `save file chooser' is an entry plus a button
to browse the filesystem if one wishes to.
that's what I used in one of my programs, because the GtkFileChooserButton
didn't do what I wanted it to do (it abbreviated the filename in a very bad
way).

so, you can simple use an entry and a button (i.e. with a folder-icon), which
launches a filechooser-dialog.
this has the advantage that you can - additionally to using the filechooser-
dialog - enter a filename directly in the entry. and you always can see the
whole filename (incl. path) by scrolling the entry (instead of seeing only
a - maybe badly - abbreviated name).

... I can't quite see (perhaps because I haven't yet reviewed the complete
discussion) why it is more evil to have a filechooserbutton which displays
the currently selected file to popup a save dialog than a menu item or a
simple button in a button bar which is used in a gazillion of
applications.
it isn't more evil. (except that it eats more space)
but maybe it's better to offer an _editable_ entry (instead of a non-editable
label).

I have this application which needs a couple of default files which I user
sets in a single tabbed preferences dialog along with other related
settings. I was previously planning to have a GtkEntry where one could
type a file name and next to it a button that would pop up a file
selection dialog in case the user wants to select an existing file.
yes. this works fine in one of my applications.

regards,
Roland