Re: Design of MDI aplication

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:52:26AM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
so is there *anything* which cannot be done by the window manager?

I'd think a window manager could make the docking/sticking
thing work, but unless all window managers were compelled to
a standard way of doing it, it can only be regarded as an
external unknown variable that can only be designed out by
managing the windows internally (wiw).

There are lots of externalities already. An application
has no idea for example what size of window it will be
allocated irrespective of the request. I prefer to view
this as a benefit conferred on the user.

Perhaps there are similarities with web applications.
The dev has no control over the user environment, nor should
they. Its the job of the dev to provide as much functionality
as he can, but allow for graceful degradation in the case
of facilities (eg javascript) not being available. This is
at first quite annoying to the developer, but it ultimately
satisfies a much bigger audience.

With X, you have the organisational problem of convincing
a disparate group of people that extra features should be
added to multiple WM's. But i dont see why with the help
of eg the good people at http://www.freedesktop.org/ this
cant be done. Also, i beleive that if it was added to one
major WM then there is a chance that it might be quickly
copied.

My motivation here is as a developer of an application which
has 15 windows. I've already had requests for Wiw, and the
project hasnt even been released yet! But i am quite sure
that i dont like the idea of incorporating one of the myriad
'docking' systems or suchlike which are all imo v poor
substitutes for proper versatile window management.

cheers
--
Tim Orford