Re: Design of MDI aplication

Tim Orford wrote:
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:11:33AM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:

 If many top level windows can be made to "stick" or dock
 together with the main menubar and all be iconized as a
 unit independent of the window manager, then this would
 go a long way to removing the need for wiw MDI.

so is there *anything* which cannot be done by the window manager?

surely a WM could encapsulate separate windows in another blank
window like xnest or MS-Wiw if required?

we do need a solution to this problem, and it cannot be
done at the application level. Any thoughts appreciated.

regards

I'd think a window manager could make the docking/sticking
thing work, but unless all window managers were compelled to
a standard way of doing it, it can only be regarded as an
external unknown variable that can only be designed out by
managing the windows internally (wiw).