Re: best approach to fast display of images?

Have you tried running gtk+-2.4.x/tests/testrgb? This benchmarks the
gdk_draw_gray_image() function:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-GdkRGB.html#gdk-draw-gray-image

This is the fastest way to draw a buffer of pixels to the screen in
plain gdk. On my very modest machine I get about 30 Mpixels/sec, fast
enough to draw a 1,000 by 1,000 pixel image at 30 fps.