GTK+ app hang on win32

I've gotten my application to run on windows (Was natively linux) and have hit
several problems...

1.  My app pops up a dialog window in the case of a problem. (i.e. can't talk
to a remote device).  in linux this works perfectly,  in windows it pops up a
blank window and the cursor changes to an hourglass when that window has the
focus

2. As my app is running, it uses glade to load various tabs into a global
gtk_notebook. after each glade file is processed, it tries to call
gtk_notebook_append_page() and under win32 this call HANGS indefinitely, task
manager reports 0% cpu usage, so it doesn't appear to be stuck in a race)

NOTE regarding #2.  the tab loading is run from within a thread that is wrapped
by calls to gdk_threads_enter() and gdk_threads_leave().  This works flawlessly
on linux, freebsd and OS-X,  but hangs at the above location on windows (Win2k
SP4).  Is this a GTK+ bug in the gtk_notebook or glib itself on win32?

I'm using gtk-win32-2.4.14-rc1, and libglade-2.4.0 from the
gladewin32.sourceforge.net site.

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk