getting a pointer to a GtkWindow

Hi,

I'm trying to learn the basics of gtk. I've created a simple app with
the layout done in glade. I can use lookup widget to get a pointer to
the current window, but it doesn't find other windows in the app.

I need to find a way to open a new window (when the user clicks a
button). I also need to figure how to stop the second window from
showing automatically when the program loads up, the visible property
for the window in glade doesn't seem to change anything.

Any help much appreciated (or point me in the right directions for docs)

Jeremy

PS: Can you cc me as I'm not on the list