RE: Newbie Question

  gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(window),
             "delete_event",
             GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(delete_event_cb),
             NULL); //exit main when the window closes.

I would suggest you use this instead if you are not happy with
gtk_signal_connect():

        g_signal_connect((gpointer)window, "delete_event",
                                G_CALLBACK(delete_event_cb), NULL);

I am aware that the gtk_signal_connect() dosent work,

It does work.  It is being deprecated I believe, in favor of the GLIB's
g_signal_connect(). See here:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Signals.html#gtk-signal-conne
ct

Regards,