Re: Unit tests in Python using GObject Introspection

On 08/19/2010 11:17 AM, Simón Pena Placer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that we have GObject Introspection available, I've started
> developing unit tests in Python. That way, we should be able to check
> Grilo's core functionality while, at the same, checking how well
> Grilo's introspection support is working -and specifically, PyGObject.
>
> Where should these tests be located? I first thought about
> tools/python/tests, but it doesn't look too "standard". Another choice
> could be under src/tests/python (as we would likely be adding
> JavaScript tests in the future). What do you think about it (or the
> unit tests in general)?
>
> Best regards,

Hi,

It is embarrassing to say that I already volunteered to write test units
back in May, but failed to actually allocate time to push it forward (I
guess I moved it down in my priority list). I sincerely apologize.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/grilo-list/2010-May/msg00041.html

I won't say I will start devoting many hours to this right now, but we
can join forces and try to have a basic test unit foundation where we
can harvest more incrementally. I still think they are necessary.
The idea of separating them in a folder for each language seems good to
me as we will want to have test units for Pyhton, Vala, JS and any other
lang supporting GI. Though I think they should not be placed within src,
but in /test. Mixing actual library code with testing (metdata) code
doesn't seems right to me, but I don't feel strongly about it anyway.

regards,

Edu