Anjuta as an AVR development environment - Weekly report #7

Hi guys!

Past week I've done the following things:

- Fixed segfault from the earlier report
- Reorganized the AVR plugin a bit and made sure the selected target device and CPU freq are stored in the Anjuta session.

The AVR plugin also got his first successful build, and of course I wanted to find out if the configure dialog would display the widgets from the plugin, unfortunately there was a problem with Anjuta's schema file for Gsettings, which prevented the preferences window of Anjuta to show up [1], and a segfault as end result.

To fix this issue, I tried to contact desrt on #gnome-hackers, but he hasn't yet responded, will try next week a few times more.

Next week

- Start with planning on how to integrate avr-gdb and simulavr/avarice, which probably means a lot of reading on how AnjutaLauncher works, think of a way how the user can select his debug platform of choice etc. (I think I already have a nice way to do that)

- Fix the gsettings schema issue as described above, and test if the widget shows up in the configure dialog

- Hopefully the new class for generating and manipulating shell commands is a bit more ready, so I can use that when overriding the configure flags

Overall status of the project

Unfortunately, the project isn't nearly as far as I hoped it would be, mainly because of the following reasons:
- It's harder than I expected. Anjuta is a very large program, it took more time than I thought to figure out how each component interact with each other.
- To integrate avr-gcc nicely in Anjuta was far more complex as initially expected. Extra widgets were required, and took some discussion what would be the best way to implement it.
- Exams required more of my time than expected.

But, the past few weeks I had more and more the feeling I begin to understand Anjuta, and I think progress will accelerate the coming weeks. I also find it's very fun to hack on Anjuta, because there are a lot of new things for me like Memory managment, C GTK+, and more.